Friday, July 6, 2012

Artist Series: Rineke Dijkstra


During my weekend excursion to Chicago, I stumbled upon the excellent contemporary photography collection of the Chicago Institute of Art. One gallery in particular, housed eleven works by Dutch photographer, Rineke Dijkstra (their full collection contains 23 of her works!) - and it took my breath away. Her subdued palettes, extra-large compositions, and raw subject matter kept me mesmerized.  Luckily, I was traveling with a fellow art historian, so I wasn't rushed through the process.


All of the eleven works shown were an excerpt from her Beach Portraits series completed in the early-90s.  Her subject: young, adolescent children of all genders, ages, and nationalities - making the point that the transitional awkwardness that adolescence and puberty brings is something that crosses international borders.  It's a transition experienced by all - a phenomenon - a universal.


The work of August Sanders instantly hit me as a reference point to Dijkstra's work.  In favor of Dijkstra's work, I feel that she is not only seeking a universal concept, but forcing its acknowledgment as well. Sanders work, Faces of Our Time (which I adore) lacks an aggression, and as such - an honesty, that Dijkstra truly captures.


If you get a chance - these are a must-see.

No comments:

Post a Comment