Saturday, June 23, 2012

Now: Summer Reading


During the school year, I find it hard to truly enjoy leisure reads.  Before my move to Buffalo, I pass my time by 1) working (of course) and 2) reading, reading, reading!  In my architecture class last year my professor brought Edmund Burke's work on the sublime to my attention - so I just had to have it!  Burke's essay is humanist (and spot on) in the purest of ways.  I've come to understand (and appreciate) fear, love, and passion for all that they are - especially for what these emotions have given art.

By far my favorite scholar of art history is Rosalind Krauss of Columbia. Her 1972 essay in Artforum "A View of Modernism" still gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes. 
                                   "He wants to be Velázquez so he paints stripes"
Under Blue Up discusses what Krauss coins as the, "post-medium condition" where she believes that the medium of any work has moved from being absolute to obsolete as a result of postmodernism.  Definitely a worthy read (especially if you're heading to graduate school)!

Read, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment